Monday 18 January 2016

Just Past the Half Way Point

Ten shows down, my friends! I'm really tired, more than a little beat up (musical theatre is PHYSICAL! And not just the dancing!), and in love. I love this. I love singing, acting, and, yes, even dancing! I love it so deeply, even more than I thought I would. This was what I was waiting for in the process--sharing a story and some great songs with people. Exploring behaviour I would never do in real life (like yelling at Ty, who is a lovely person). Being loud, noisy, singy! In most areas of life, it's best to be quiet. Not on the stage, most of the time! I can be who I was as a child, before my anxiety disorder took horrible shape. I wanted to become a combination singer/actress/dancer. And now, I'm doing it!

It is worth it, folks. Every bruise (I've finally learned how to carry a chair without letting it smack against my legs), every pain, every yawn. Following my dream is worth it. My dream was not really to be famous, it was to sing/dance/act. And I've been doing that for the last week and a half. And it's been amazing!

I don't think I can do more than one show a season as an actor (I am not nearly as energetic as my fellow cast mates, and the family is missing me); but, even if I never perform again, I have lived a dream and loved it!

A special thanks goes out to everyone in the cast of this show. They have, down to each person, helped me to adjust, learn and thrive out there. The operative word in community theatre is Community. Everyone really does want to help. It's not just a cliché, it's more than the truth. People helping right and left, so that all of us enjoy the process as well as the show. 

Are you thinking about sticking a toe in your dream pool? I really think you should, in whatever way feels right to you. Don't wait, don't let the fear stop you. You don't have to be the best. You don't have to become rich or famous. EVEN IF YOU FIND OUT THAT YOU HATE IT AND WANT TO DO SOMETHING ELSE. Just give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment