Saturday 5 September 2015

Acting and singing is fun!

So, when you sing at a recital or in your choir, the goal is to stand basically still and sing the song as close to perfectly as you can. We all know I have never acted, so my obsessive focus has been on this song. Memorizing the lyrics, trying my best to sing it the best I can. Standing still.

So, you know when they say an actor is wooden? Yeah. There is THE MOVEMENT in the acting. And, what is actually really awesome? Being perfect isn't a goal! I mean, you better get the words right, and you should sound "good" (whatever that means to who is casting the show), but you are supposed to MOVE. To give life to the story behind the words. 

And that is freakin' FUN! And exciting! And scary, but in a good way! I loved it! I could just let it go and get right into the song, like when I was a teenager and everything was VERY IMPORTANT AND EMOTIONAL. And the best part? The most unbelievable, surreal part?

I wasn't anxious. 

Go ahead, read it again. I don't believe it either. 

I wasn't afraid, embarrassed, anxious, filled with fear. I don't know why, any more than I could explain astrophysics. I should have been terrified. I should have hated every minute of standing in front of people, singing and acting (it wasn't Shakespeare, but it wasn't bad for a first timer!). But I didn't, and I wasn't.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I also handled my girl starting kindergarten this week without crying my eyes out. I may have had some kind of psychotic break. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment