Sunday 25 October 2015

Baby's First Theatre Show!

Thanks to a good friend, Baby 16 (ok, she's 5 years old, but still...) got to go to her very first theatre show last night--StoryBook Theatre's 'Cinderella: The Tale of the Glass Slipper'! Miss Sam* and I got to bring Short Pants into the fold. The verdict? She totally loved it. If you are worried that your wee ones might not enjoy a live theatre experience, as I was, maybe give it a shot! 

Baby 16 is sensitive to loud noise and does not have the attention span for a movie, so I thought this might be the right venue for her first show. With a run time of 75 minutes with no intermission, it was the perfect length of time for her kindergarten self. She was fascinated by the technical aspects of the set (she has a real future on production teams!) but was still totally amazed by the theatre magic, when the Fairy Godmother and Cinderella's costumes transformed from shlumpy work clothes to beautiful ball gowns. I wish I could have captured her reaction on camera. It was the reason why we do all the hard work--that moment utter amazement, thrill, and joy. Full on "I just won the lottery?! OH MY GOD!!!" reaction. It was my favourite part of the night.

She was so into the show, she didn't even ask for her snacks! It was indeed a magical night. Thank you, StoryBook, for providing shows like this for families. It was a tight, excellent production with great acting and fabulous singing. And thank you again, Miss Sam, for the tickets, and for totally understanding my shy kid.

*Note: I refer to my friends with a prefix when my kid is around. I think it's respectful.

Another Note:  Although I am volunteering for my first StoryBook show this season, no one asked me to review this show. Hell, I can't believe anyone actually takes some of their precious time to even read this diary of mine, much less ask me to do reviews and whatnot. Thank you, readers. I appreciate it!

Next time: HOLY CRAP! DROOD MOVES INTO THE THEATRE NEXT WEEKEND!

No comments:

Post a Comment